Started Sep 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PSonoda
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Shooting EOS M from the Chair
Sep 19, 2013

I have taken my EOS M two times now.  I previously shot with and still have a Canon 7D as well as other cameras. Here are some pictures and comments.

My Cat. I was impressed with the clarity of the 22mm f2

Taken with the Canon 50mm f1.8 using the canon Ef adapter.

Taken with the Canon adapter and the Canon 50mm f1.8

Here is an attempt at an HDR photo shooing handheld from my car.

Here is another HDR photo using a little table top tripod and the 22mm f2 pancake lens

Here is the same shot but converted to black and white except for the flag (obviously).

I have the 18-55 EOS M lens but interestingly enough I ending up liking the pictures taken with my prime lenses.  Go figure.  I am definitely limited since being injured.  My field of view is "from a chair"  Here are my thoughts.

The image quality is very good.  Even excellent.  The auto focus is not a bad as people make it out to be.  Obviously it is not as good or fast as my Canon 7D.  I used to be able to shoot HDR photos hand held with the Canon 7D without issue. My through away picture count is also notably higher on the EOS M.  But since we are shooting digital, that is not a real penalty.  The size is amazing.  The feel, fit and finish are excellent.  Same goes for the M mount lenses and adapter.

Aside from the kit lenses, I have best auto focus luck with my 50mm f1.8 and my wife's 55-250is kit lens from her T4i kit.  With better lenses, the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 does auto focus quite well.  But the 17-50mm f2.8 Tamron seems to hunt a bit.  And in low-light situations, the focus light is blocked by the larger lenses.  I have a Sigma 70-300 zoom and the performance is terrible.  The Canon 55-250 smokes it.  This is not true on my 7D.  I bet the 55-250 is STM lens will do quite well.  I hope they make an M mount version.  That plus the 11-22 would complete the kit.  (I think I may break down and buy one from Canada)

The Camera is quite small (the benefit) but that makes shooting video a little difficult.  There is not a rig or cage yet for the EOS M.  But I think that would be a great idea.  So you could put a light and outboard audio setup.  It still would be extremely small and lightweight.  Especially compared to my 7D in that format.  Here is a couple of pictures to illustrate my point.

EOS M with 18-55 lens and litepanel vs 7D with 17-50mm lens and litepanel

EOS M with ZOOM H1 vs. 7D with ZOOM H4n

EOS M with ZOOM H1 and Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 – All that is needed is a baby steadycam!

Even with the relatively large 11-16 Tokina, this setup is remarkably small.  And it seems to work well.  Still, I am not sure the best way to hold it and not drop it.

Next step.  Shoot some video.  Let me know what you think.  Please do not be too harsh on my photo composition.   

PSonoda's gear list:PSonoda's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +14 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow