DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,748Gear list
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to paulkienitz, Sep 19, 2013

Hi Paul,

Don't for one second think I look down on the 55-300 as a piece of junk, It's a fine lens and probably at the top of the pack of the xx-300's for feature set provided or optical compromises required to hit the price point..

Its sharp enough , has enough control of CA and very nice contrast a compelling combination where the others have optimized one at the expense of another, So teh Siggy is better corrected and the Tamron is sharper.

My concern for you was I know you own a Q and use it reach capabilities fro your birding.

the 55-300 on the Q will not rock your heavily into the limits even wide open and the lowish resolution of the lenses will hinder any fine detail resolution of feather etc.

The da* 300 on the other hand by quirk of fate is a match made in heaven it appears to be 'the stupidly long lens' for the Q delivering IQ at level that on paper shouldn’t happen.

Have a look at the examples posted on the 'other' forum from it .

If you buy the 55-300 I fear it will only be a stop gap till you get the real thing for your Q

Buy once first time is my advice , but then I can't see what strains are on your disposable income.

Having said that if your about to embark on a once in a lifetime trip the 55-300 might be a better option for now giving more flexibility.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow