The Camera Matters.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,415Gear list
Like?
Re: The Camera Matters.
In reply to howardroark, 10 months ago

While the premise of the OP's post is somewhat dubious IMO - who really thinks the camera doesn't matter, and what does that mean, anyway? Of course it matters, without it there would be no photography. I think this thread has offered some interesting thoughts, however.

I'm usually in the camp that says gear is overemphasized over talent, eye,  creativity, and hard work. But as was mentioned, the FIT is more important than quality of gear. For most people, the iphone is a better fit than a 5D3.

Besides specific situations, i.e. fast action sports, birding, huge prints, I think that most modern cameras and lenses are good enough for general photography. A good photographer will take good photos with most cameras, a bad one will take lousy photos with the same gear. The camera needs to fit the photographers skills, subjects and shooting style.

I've owned many cameras over a period of 50 years. Luckily, the technology and my skills have increased at a similar rate, and accordingly most of my cameras and lenses have been good fits.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow