The Camera Matters.

Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?
Re: actually, it's the lens.
In reply to howardroark, Sep 19, 2013

I think that's taking it too far in the other direction. A better camera, at least with regard to the intended application, reduces the obstacles to getting the shot.

Let's take a concrete example: swivel screens. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but after shooting without one for 4 years it tops my wish list. Does this mean there are shots I can't get because I don't have one on my T1i? Probably not... but, lowering the barrier to getting those odd angle shots will encourage me to a) take more of them; and b) focus more on the shot itself rather than how to solve the problem of not having a swivel screen. The end result is possibly more and better shots of that type.

Which brings up an important point. "Better" is now a function of the photographer's intentions.

I have always maintained that the ideal camera is one that gets out of the photographer's way as much as possible allowing one to focus on the art rather than overcoming constraints. Since such a perfect camera does not exist, we all can benefit from using cameras that remove/reduce most of the constraints we personally care about..

Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow