DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,436Gear list
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to paulkienitz, Sep 19, 2013

Here is why I enjoy the DA55-300mm, and am happy with the results. I went out after work with my tripod and K-5 and DA55-300mm just to take a few quick snap shots; knowing none of the pics will be soft or even a little soft or suffer too much aberrations no matter what f/stop or focal length I am at. Its an enjoyable lens for enthusiasts on a budget IMO and others. It delivers high quality images to quote ePhotozine "In practical picture taking there is no doubt that this lens produces sharp, excellent quality images, with outstanding colour reproduction."

Again not my words. Just another photography site testing the lens. For example, the little squirrel that stood still long enough for me today to get a snap shot of him 60' away (it was dim lighting). The results are all I could ask for the money and meets my needs. In other words I enjoy just being able to take shots like this at any f/stop or focal length, in back lit conditions with no worry of too much aberrations or the shot being soft. I know if the camera is in focus its going to be a good shot (technically).

The lens is picking up very fine details (pixel peep it at 100%) at a good distance. Almost all my pics posted from the DA55-300mm over the years are cropped This is a purpose built APS sensor lens with no VR or larger glass elements, tubes, to cover FF needed. Pentax could save on cost of manufacturing, and add better glass. Nothing suggests Pentax did not. Pentax says it did put two ED elements in it and one of high performance?

Of course being a consumer lens it gives up speed. It gives up corrections at infinity focus, but its not bad at infinity! Pic below taken at infinity today.

just a quick snap, you can zoom in at full size.

Crop of above. Not bad, it meets my needs.

Pic with infinity focus, again not bad at all even pixel peeping. It is a zoom of 55-300mm. Target and point of focus is the chimney.

As Klaus of Photozone says "a viable choice". Buy what you want and makes you happy.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow