paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,918Gear list
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to GossCTP, Sep 18, 2013

GossCTP wrote:

paulkienitz wrote:

paulkienitz wrote:

A lot of big companies have felt that way when a new technology started nibbling around their ankles... sometimes they're perfectly right to dismiss it, and sometimes they're not.

Speaking of, I just got a bright idea for what I'd do if I were Olympus or Panasonic. Start working, in a quiet back-burner way, on full-function adapters for C and N lenses. If someday Micro Four Thirds starts to become a dominant mount at a consumer level, it might go a long way toward making the system usable for pros if they had a painless way to transition their major glass investments.

Well, the problem there is that companies have a vested interest in keeping you tied to their systems. A crippled adapter is basically just a tool to help people jump ship slower. The lenses are where the money is, so nobody wants to release a camera that can use the best quality/value lenses that exist in each system. At that point, everyone is basically a third party glass designer. I do wonder about the potential to reverse engineer the mounts. I think we all know the Chinese manufacturers aren't above selling adapters that the brands haven't authorized. Also I wonder if the "adaptall" concept might make a comeback with third party lens designers.

Simple cure for the self-cannibalism concern: charge $800 or more for the adapter.  If it's truly full featured, with no crippling and no limitations relative to the native mount, you'll be able to command that sort of price.  The target audience would be people who want to use a small mirrorless for everyday lightweight shooting but also want to occasionally use their stock of big expensive pro glass.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow