Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,028
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to paulkienitz, 10 months ago

paulkienitz wrote:

paulkienitz wrote:

A lot of big companies have felt that way when a new technology started nibbling around their ankles... sometimes they're perfectly right to dismiss it, and sometimes they're not.

Speaking of, I just got a bright idea for what I'd do if I were Olympus or Panasonic. Start working, in a quiet back-burner way, on full-function adapters for C and N lenses. If someday Micro Four Thirds starts to become a dominant mount at a consumer level, it might go a long way toward making the system usable for pros if they had a painless way to transition their major glass investments.

Well, the problem there is that companies have a vested interest in keeping you tied to their systems. A crippled adapter is basically just a tool to help people jump ship slower. The lenses are where the money is, so nobody wants to release a camera that can use the best quality/value lenses that exist in each system. At that point, everyone is basically a third party glass designer. I do wonder about the potential to reverse engineer the mounts. I think we all know the Chinese manufacturers aren't above selling adapters that the brands haven't authorized. Also I wonder if the "adaptall" concept might make a comeback with third party lens designers.

-- hide signature --

http://members.cox.net/dpph0t0dump/newsig.jpg
Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow