Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
georgemcbay
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: actually, it's the lens.
In reply to Erik Magnuson, Sep 18, 2013

Erik Magnuson wrote:

georgemcbay wrote:

The autofocus system in the 70D is significantly better in every way than what I was used to with the T1i resulting in a situation where I can get shots (of non-posed people, animals, etc) with the 70D that I likely would have simply missed with the T1i.

And yet there are likely other shots you have that are indistinguishable between the two bodies.

Yes this is true.  I'd even go further and say that most shots I have would be about the same between the T1i and the 70D.  But the shots where the faster autofocus matter differ a great deal between having a good shot (on the 70D) and no shot at all (with the T1i).

(in some cases, technically better gear doesn't really make a difference, in some it does, it is completely dependent upon the artistic style of the photographer and the subject matter).

Better gear will usually make it easier to get specific shots that challenge capabilities of lesser gear. That's why it only matters sometimes.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Again, agreed.  It only matters sometimes, but when it does matter it can sometimes be the difference between getting a shot or no shot.   Despite all the replies to this thread I think most people agree with the general premise that while better or shot-specific gear isn't everything and can be worked around to some degree with creativity, when you *do* need the better gear it is nice to have it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow