Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,805Gear list
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to GossCTP, Sep 18, 2013

GossCTP wrote:

paulkienitz wrote:

What I'm hoping is that if I get a major body upgrade, this does not have to throw me into rebuilding the entire system at a very financially inconvenient time. And despite all advice from the majority of thread participants who sneer at the consumer zoom, what I'm getting from the actual samples and stuff is that I'll probably be fairly okay if I just get a body and postpone any lens purchases for another year or so.

What I"m hoping is that by upgrading from my K20d to the k5 ii I can boost the ISO enough to not need to shoot wide open with the 55-300. I'm not convinced that the ISO performance is that much better (except it doesn't seem to get the green tinge like the k20d) but I'm willing to give it a try. Much better camera in so many other areas anyway.

In your case, that would be a hopefully large change in low light performance but a small change in resolution. Any lens that works well would continue to work equally well. But in my case I'm going for a fairly large resolution change, which carries the risk that my existing lenses become suddenly a lot less adequate.

One of the beauties of the mirrorless options is that no mount will truly "die". There will be adapters for probably every system to use K mount lenses. It's possible that none of them will support auto-focus, but at the very least, a high quality 300 f/4 will have value as long as cameras need lenses.

Yeah, but autofocus is kind of important. That's why I'm not just buying a PEN and sticking adapters on it. That's okay once in a while (and I have a Q for that purpose) but it's really only usable for quite immobile targets.

If I got a C or N tele, I'd at least know that an autofocus-supporting adapter exists for one mirrorless system.  I doubt anyone will ever build one for K-mount SDM lenses... unless the wild rumor that Ricoh plans to pull a mount change on us and make a mirrorless full frame is true.

CaNikon isn't going anywhere. They will have systems when the time comes. And people will continue to pay more money for the same features when they do. That's the power of branding.

A lot of big companies have felt that way when a new technology started nibbling around their ankles... sometimes they're perfectly right to dismiss it, and sometimes they're not.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow