The Camera Matters.

Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: actually, it's the lens.
In reply to georgemcbay, Sep 18, 2013

georgemcbay wrote:

Having just upgraded from a T1i to a 70D but having kept all the same lenses, sometimes the body matters quite a bit.  The autofocus system in the 70D is significantly better in every way than what I was used to with the T1i resulting in a situation where I can get shots (of non-posed people, animals, etc) with the 70D that I likely would have simply missed with the T1i.

Honestly it all matters -- the photographer, the body, the lenses, the subject, the light (which I would argue matters more than the body or the lenses).

Funny you should mention that.  I was talking with a friend the other day who was on vacation and happened to be at a cathedral looking around when he saw a man standing around with a camera doing nothing.  He was familiar with a local photographer that had taken photographs of other cathedrals in the area and went over to talk to the man with the camera.  Turned out he was the same photographer and my friend said he figured it was a professional or at least a real artist because he was the only one with a camera not taking pictures.  Why?  Because he was waiting for the right light.

Of course, if you give the best gear to a terrible photographer he or she will take terrible pictures with it, the photographer is the bottleneck factor.  But give a better camera body (in terms of better autofocus, better ergonomics, etc) or better lenses to a good photographer and you're likely to get better photos.  Give a shitty camera to a good photographer and you'll get much better photos than an average person would take with that camera, but they are probably not going to be as good as they would if the photographer had better gear (in some cases, technically better gear doesn't really make a difference, in some it does, it is completely dependent upon the artistic style of the photographer and the subject matter).

Perhaps the judgement of the photographer about how to approach a situation in order to produce a shot that matches his creative vision is the most important part.  Artistic talent, or having an "eye" for photography, is very important, but having the experience, knowledge, and skill to conceive of what you want and then finding/manipulating photographic equipment to achieve that is the intersection of talent, skill, experience, and equipment available to achieve one's goal.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow