Will Olympus finally take video seriously w/ EM-1?

Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,565Gear list
Like?
Need to hope a little harder I think?
In reply to honeyiscool, Sep 18, 2013

honeyiscool wrote:

javayoda wrote:

I recently took video of my kids using a hacked GH2 and a bright prime. I gotta say I wish I had used the E-M5 with it's inferior codec. Unstabilized video drives me crazy.

If Olympus could combine GH3 video quality with 5-axis stabilization, they'd have a huge hit on their hands. How hard can it be? Sony, can you share just one more thing?

-- hide signature --

I agree. Given that I rarely get to set up a tripod, I would prefer 5-axis video w/ inferior codec > unstabilized video w/ superior codec. I do think EM1 w/ GH3 video quality would be absolutely killer and would completely justify every dollar of the asking price for me. But as I see it, it doesn't even need to be GH3 quality to be absolutely killer in my eyes. Somewhere better than the current E-P5/EM-5 performance and on par with Panasonic G6 would be enough, for me.

I'm not too knowledgeable in the subject but unless I'm mistaken, the only thing a new GHx needs to eclipse the E-M1 would be IBIS and focus peaking. We already know focus peaking wouldn't be a problem as other Panasonic cameras now has them so that leaves IBIS.

On the other hand, again, unless I'm mistaken, there is quite a few things that is missing in the E-M1 that a new version would need to fix to even match the GH3 (other than IBIS is focus peaking). Bit rate, codec, manual configuration flexibility of both sound and video etc. etc. Unless I'm mistaken, Oly cameras are all missing, besides the main codec/bit rates that are most mentioned, all the misc smaller stuff that makes a device suitable for professionals.

Mind you, this is of only concern for professionals and serious video buffs. For people like us, IBIS would probably be more useful, which would make the E-M1 and E-M5, more than enough for most people..

I just can't get past the fact that, although we can, with proper technique and/or equipment, deal with the lack of IBIS on the Panny, nothing can get past the lack of lacking codec and bit rates on the Oly's. Still, not a video buff so not a big deal for me.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow