FL-300R external flash, just right or waste of time (money)?

Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
BMWBig6
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: FL-300R external flash, just right or waste of time (money)?
In reply to LesK, Sep 18, 2013

LesK wrote:

I have recently aquired a fl300r mainly for use on m43 cameras, but I also have an xz1.

I think it has a guide no of 20 (at iso 100) vs 7 for the xz1 built in flash, so there is a significant power gain, but obviously no match for larger units. But the latter would hardly balance well on the xz1/2.

I am pleased with the fl300r on the m43 cameras as the portability is important to me, and the lower power can be offset by pushing up the iso. I can get good bounce results this way. You would have to judge whether you would be happy resorting to higher iso settings on the xz2 for bounce flash if and when necessary.

I tried it on the xz1 and it seems to work well in ttl mode on the hot shoe. There is also the option of using it off camera in conjunction with the built in flash. However, in this mode the xz1 is able to trigger the fl300r, but not to control the exposure, as the flash always seems to fire at full power. So you have to control exposure through aperture setting. I suggest you check out whether the xz2 offers full control.

Thanks for your input.  It sounds like you use it more with your m43 camera, but would you buy it again or get something different if you could go back in time?  Do you find that it does a better job indoors (not bouncing) vs. the built-in flash, allowing you to take better photos that you may not have been able to take (or reach with flash) before?

-- hide signature --

Ben

BMWBig6's gear list:BMWBig6's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow