Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Tim A2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to SanMat, 11 months ago

SanMat wrote:

Hi Paul,

Looks like you've gotten plenty of responses, but here's my take. Go with the DA 300 and don't look back. As for zooming, I would assume that at least 80-90% of the situations requiring a change in focal length can be accomplished with your feet. If you purchase the zoom, you'll still be wondering about the upgrade in quality for the DA 300. If you purchase the DA 300, you won't be wondering about how to improve the quality. That may be a bit snobbish - but it's human nature.

No it is not snobbish, it is just the way it is. That lens is $1,400 at B&H. You may as well tell me not to settle for a K30, or inexpensive wine and scotch. I get what I can afford and I cannot afford to spend that much on that lens. I got my 55-300 mm bundled with my K30 + 18-50 mm kit lens for $850 for all three. I got a darn good camera and lens for considerably less then that one lens.

The choice is yours. Good luck.

Not really a choice for me.

Pete

But you are right. It is one heck of a good lens, but I doubt I would get it even if I could afford it. The poor man's version I have is hard to beat at the distances I shoot at 300  mm.

Like some other guy told me. "It depends on what your standards are". Well, no; it depends on how much money you have.

tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow