* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 282, 13 09 18 *

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: Yucca blooms on Fox Ridge
In reply to stephent, Sep 18, 2013

stephent wrote:

Hi mate great series.That will grow over time  (no pun intended) as the trees come back. Looks like a great place to walk.

As a point of interest how tall is that Yucca?

Regards.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for looking and commenting. Yes, the forest will grow back, but maybe not within my lifetime. The pines and oaks will take a long time to grow to maturity. Some survived in deep narrow canyons. And these 13 or so survived too.

The yucca bloom was  about 10 to 12 feet tall. The base plant was about 3 to 4 feet in diameter. It's still there but dried and dead in the first photo, taken this past Sunday. The base of the flower cluster was above my head. I posted a few photos of the blooms a couple of weeks ago. These are also called Century Plants here in So Cal because they grow for a long time (~35 years) and then suddenly send up that stalk using starch stored in a large root. It shoots up and flowers in two weeks. Hundreds of bugs and ants pollinate it and drink the nectar. It dies within a month. The seed pods open up later and seeds pop out into the wind. The yucca survived the forest fire and continued growing. With all of the open bare ground they have thrived and multiplied everywhere.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow