FL-300R external flash, just right or waste of time (money)?

Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,918Gear list
Like?
Re: FL-300R external flash, just right or waste of time (money)?
In reply to BMWBig6, Sep 18, 2013

Repeat of what I posted over in the Micro 4/3 forum:

I have had one for a while - replaced an earlier Olympus model with it. Use it on my various m4/3 cameras and XZ-2.

I have not tried a lot of bounce flash with it because unless your ceiling is pretty low I don't think a flash this size is really strong enough for a decent bounce. Otherwise - it is better than the pop-up flashes or the little flash that came with the EM5 - because it is more powerful and it raises the flash unit further from the line of the lens for less problems with Red Eye.

You can also use it off camera - again depending on which Olympus camera you have.

The refresh rate is not bad for a small, pocket flash unit, but because it uses only two AAA batteries, it is nothing great.

As far as the heating problem, that was probably a very early review. There was an issue with the initial batch of the flashes and Olympus had a recall of certain serial numbers that they replaced the units (mine was one of them). Did not really notice a heat problem in the original unit - though I did get it replaced - and have not noticed it in the replacement (after I started paying more attention).

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow