DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,457Gear list
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to paulkienitz, Sep 18, 2013

For further validity of DXO test results at 300mm I found a review I had previously missed. The other Pentax fanboy only site tested the DA55-300mm and did this review well before DXO. DXO tested the lens with the K50 and are now having people who never owned or have less than normal copies scratching their heads. But it is what I stated long ago. How can DXO, the other Pentax web site, PopularPhoto, Photozone, ePhotozine, be so wrong? Its a great lens the money! And a good lens period. Better than anyother, no of course not.

A quote from the other websites in depth review of the DA55-300mm -

"Surprisingly, the images at 300mm, wide open are incredibly sharp. Granted, 300mm wide open is f5.8. But the images are tack sharp, corner to corner. Examine the mortar on the edges in the f5.8 image taken at 300mm. Check out those individual sand grains! WOW!"

I did not make the above review or words or test the lens at DXO. So if your copy is not sharp at 300mm f/5.8 its a below average copy.

As for aberrations. The K20D never showed PF with the DA55-300mm. For whatever reason the K5 has higher levels of PF/CA for some reason. But since the DA55-300mm is a Pentax lens you can just turn on in camera CA removal to take care of that problem. Its also very light and can do BIF with truly great results. Its one weakness is infinity focus. At infinity corrections are not as good. So the above samples (last two sets) are valid IMO. But overall the the price, hey it fits the bill. And is appreciated by those who can't buy a DA*.

Developed in RAW using CA corrections; which could have been used in camera for this pic at the time taken. But I was going for FPS so I shut it off. Still not the best shot, but a fair shot. Anyways now two separate sites find the same in measuring the lens? Talk to you latter.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow