Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,375Gear list
Like?
E-M1 VS E-M5 high ISO .
Sep 18, 2013

Firstly I want to make it clear that I will be getting the E-M1 regardless of the conclusions of this thread.

My order form {identifying addresses etc hidden } and Olympus registration for the free accessories. To show my interest in the camera

I am starting to see several posts in here and various other forums where folk are claiming a one stop advantage in high ISO to the E-M1 . At the risk of rocking the boat I must say I am not seing this in any of the RAW files at our disposal. I think that above 3200 ISO they are aLl pretty bad so my post and examples here relates to 3200 ISO .

Method, I downloaded the RAW files from DPreview used the Photoshop DNG upgrade to convert the files to DNG to level the test. I opened the resulting files in ACR the only thing done was to turn off the default NR in ACR to see the files in their naked glory :-). No other processing was done .

I took several crops for comparison at 100% E-M1 is on the right in all comparison and personally i see no one stop difference in any of them in fact the shots showing close up noise if anything have a splash more colour noise on the E-M1. All crops below.

For those who think that there is a one stop difference , where do you see it. I am not in the least concerned with high ISO. I am getting the E-M1 for low ISO use and it is its fantastic feature set and build quality that attract me to it.

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 +13 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JimNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow