cosmerodrigues
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you need "full frame" ?
In reply to antoineb, 7 months ago

antoineb wrote:

cosmerodrigues wrote:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

In the future I really would like to invest my hard earned money in a D600 with 51AF points and no oil or dust on the sensor...should I?

-- hide signature --

Sorry for the bad English.
Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
Compact: Nikon P300
DSLR: Nikon D90 + Nikon D50
+ Other stuff

Hi,

two things:

(1) do you need "full frame"?  This is just a marketing term.  In German, where the 24x36mm originated by cutting of a portion from the film format used for movies, it is called "kleinbild", i.e. "small picture".  The larger format gives you:
- shallower depth of field.  But sometimes so shallow, that you might find this a hindrance rather than a help.  There are various DOF calculators on the Web and you can play with focal lengths and decide for yourself.
- better very high ISO.  Most APS-C cameras today will give you very clean images at least up to ISO 3200.  So 24x36 will only be useful if you think you will often need very clean images at, say, ISO 12800.  I know I have personally never needed more than ISO 5000 for any real life shot (I of course have played with higher ISO), and when I did the results were deemed perfectly fine for what I did with them i.e. send normal sized prints to the people at that event
- heavier camera and larger lenses.  Sure you can re-cycle your DX lenses but with big limitations, i.e. low resolution, tiny view in the finder, so you'll need those lenses for full frame.
- more money spent

(2) the D600 seems to be a fine camera.  It seems to have had more than its share of dust/oil spots but it's tough to tell for sure:  indeed you can search pretty much any higher-end camera for "model name - dust" and you will land a ton of results, be it a Nikon or a Canon.  This being said some serious reviewers have spent time on this, and the tentative conclusion is that: (a) it is always easy to clean, (b) it seems to become much less of an issue after about 3'000 shots.

So with the D610 apparently soon to be announced by Nikon, it would seem to me that if you want a D600, then you should soon be able to get one for a good price.  And if you're ready to go for second-hand (from a reputed source obviously) then picking a camera with over 3'000 shots might help futher on both price, and function.

Enjoy!

You are right Antoine, I am not 100% sure about the real need for FX, I’m no pro and money is a rare resource (at least in Portugal it is). However, I can see the difference between the results obtained from my Dx D90/D50 (not bad cameras) and the ones obtained with FX cameras: better dynamic range, better colors, better low light capacity and better/shallower DOF isolation. I already have several lens for FX (Nikon 50 1.8, Nikon 85 1.8, Sigma 105 2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-200 2.8 and Nikon 70-300VR) and recently I bought another, a used Tamron 28-75 2.8 “screwdriver” and I am selling my Sigma 10-20 to finance the upgrade. So, if I buy a FX camera I don´t need to buy any other lens or spend more money. I am ready for the “big jump” and I would like to have a D600, or the coming substitute, on the other side I will maintain my Dx Cameras and some Dx lenses (Tamron 17-50 2.8 and Nikon 35 1.8) until they die.

I agree with you, depending on the price I could get a new D600 or refurbished (from Amazon or so), and after 3000 pics maybe I don´t need to clean the sensor on a daily basis. However, if the new camera (D610 or whatever) comes with a better AF (51 points) + 1/8000 shutter, no need for sensor cleaning and at a modest price (near the present D600 price), I can wait half year or so for the a price drop.

Sorry for the bad English.
Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
Compact: Nikon P300
DSLR: Nikon D90 + Nikon D50
+ Other stuff

cosmerodrigues's gear list:cosmerodrigues's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon Coolpix S30 Nikon D50 Nikon D90 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
6D?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow