An anti-EM1 Thread - Here's why

Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,722Gear list
Re: A camera's value is an individual decision
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Sep 18, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

The reason for the E-M1 being bigger is because many of us complained about the small size of the E-M5. In addition, it has to be bigger to handle well with the 4/3 lenses.

For your information, the E-M1 has many more additional or improved features compared to the E-M5. Here are what I have found:

- Auto CA correction

- 1/8000 sec and 1/320 sec flash sync speed

- 3.5mm audio input

- improved IBIS (5 stops claimed)

- larger and better EVF

- better LCD

- better IQ (no AA filter and better processor)

- Focus Peaking

- Much better grip (like have the horizontal grip of the E-M5 built-in) and handling

- More buttons

- in-camera HDR

- Wi-Fi

- better AF tracking

- better construction (1 piece magnesium alloy)

- better weatherproofing (freezing)

- improved operation/buffering

- use of 4/3 lenses if you should need something special and still not in M43

- and a good sized built-in grip, and yes, for many of us, the bigger size is an important improvement.

It is true that it is not for everyone. Many would prefer a cheaper E-M7, but for those who need the higher specs and can afford it, there is a choice now. More choices are always better.

A great list showing many evolutionary improvements to the E-M5 (class leading EVF, improved screen, 1-step better IBIS, auto CA correction, focus peaking, 1/8000 sec shutter, Wi-Fi, more buttons to minimize menu diving, more room for same for less fumbling about), and a few potentially revolutionary new capabilities (AF tracking in an mFT camera, fast AF of some exceptional HG/SHG lenses).

Missed opportunities? GH3 caliber video implementation and an MSRP matching the D7100 ($1200) to allow them to go head-to-head in the market.  On price, my guess is Olympus targeted this body at E-5 users who would gladly spend $300 less than the E-5's intro price to finally, finally be able to use the 16MP Sony sensor without serious AF compromise.

I frankly can also see all of the E-M1 improvements showing up in the E-M5 successor, and the price of same holding at the current $850 to truly take on the D5200 (no weathersealing and poor OVF, offset by a better sensor and brand recognition/loyalty).  If Pentax can build a weathersealed K50 with the excellent K5 sensor and sell it for $600, or the K5II itself for $750, Olympus can certainly produce a weathersealed full-featured mFT body for $800 or so.

The issue for me is that Olympus did such a remarkable job with the E-M5.  As another poster said, the E-M5, along with the D800, was one of the few truly watershed cameras of recent years.  All of the above improvements are very much welcomed, but not enough to justify a move for me at this time, especially given the premium being charged.  Others will justifiably feel differently for their own personal needs/reasons, but I'll sit this round out and continue to enjoy my E-M5 as I watch what the next year holds.

Who knows, maybe by then we'll be seeing organic sensors with truly revolutionary capabilities... fodder for future conversations .

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow