DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
Re: wow, that is a dramatic difference.
In reply to ozdean, 10 months ago

ozdean wrote:

I was fond of my 55-300 until I got my DA*300, the stars are in another league.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

Yeah, Dean. I believe it was you who made a similar comparison a year or two ago between the two lenses, that time using a shot of a house and its surrounding elements, from a high vantage point, so you could see all the stucco tiles on the roof. As with this time, in both pictures everything looked great at "normal" screen resolution, but when viewed at full size there was a MAJOR difference between the 55-300 and the DA*300 -- not so much a clear focus issue, like what I saw on the telephone poles this time, as a great deal of purple fringing and/or CA on the tiles on the cheaper lens that just WASN'T THERE on the DA* lens.

As I think you know by now, I, too, also own both lenses now. I've not yet gotten around to trying my own A/B comparison (mostly because folks like you have done such a great job for me). But I still think the 55-300 is a great overall lens to carry around. HOWEVER, since Ron posted pics he took with a relatively low-priced Sigma 18-250, I couldn't resist THAT urge and NOW that's my "walk-around zoom." There's just not enough diff. between 250 and 300 to make up for all the extra wide-angle I get with a lens like that (wish it was 18-270, but it's like HALF the price of the Pentax 18-270, so I'm NOT complaining!). Next time I go hiking (probably one day soon at the state park, before they start culling deer before the rut, I'll probably go with that on my K-30 and the DA*300 on my K-5 -- OH -- and these new electronic muffs I found for a very reasonable $40 at (I think it was Costco) They not only cut noise by 24 dB, they have individually adjustable mics on each earpiece that you can adjust up to a maximum of 50 dB AMPLIFICATION of ambient sound, so, for instance, when I put them on here by the computer with no TV on, my crickets sound LOUD. Should be GREAT when looking for little and big animals to shoot (maybe also help make sure no BEARS are around, lol).

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow