The Camera Matters.

Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeff_Donald
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
Re: The Camera Matters.
In reply to howardroark, Sep 18, 2013

I have a great many artist friends (painters, sculptors, potters, photographers etc.), having taught at a local art center for years.  When I visit their home or studio conversation always gets around to their latest work.  However, they say "Let me show you my latest painting," not "let me show what I did with my new paint brush."
Photographers almost always show what they have done in relationship to their newest lens or body.  Most other artists find that quite odd.  The relationship between the photographer and camera is vastly different from the relationship between sculptor and hammer.  Both tools are essential to the process, but relationship ends there for the sculptor.  While the photographer has almost a romantic link to the camera.

The photographer's relationship to the camera is more similar to the musician with his instrument.  It's interesting that Ansel almost became a concert pianist.

-- hide signature --

Executive Director Florida Center of Creative Photography

Jeff_Donald's gear list:Jeff_Donald's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Ricoh GR Digital IV Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +43 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow