Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business

Started Sep 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729
Like?
Tom Tom Tom
In reply to Tom May, Sep 18, 2013

Tom May wrote:

I suspect that persons as yourself are more interested in maintaining the "Apple doesn't innovate" meme than actually understanding Apple's business model, but far be it for me to school anybody.

Apple wouldn't purchase Nikon, they might license some IP for AF, and such, but Apple isn't and won't be interested in cameras other than the modules for it's product lines, and Apple is well served by Sony in this regard.

In a not unexpected move, Apple designed the optics for the 5s camera module, and I expect them to be looking for OIS IP to purchase or license, and IP for all nature of lens manufacture. All with the goal of evolving the camera module specific to their needs.

Apple isn't going to build niche smartphone models for photographers as Nokia and Samsung have, but just continually evolve the hardware, software, and ecosystem to maintain the highest level of imaging for the iPhone form factor.

Persons such as myself own a 27"iMac / Mac Mini / iPhone 4s / Ipod - and soon to be buying an iPad for my daughter...   Plus I even own a little bit of stock...  
So I am knee deep in Apple's Business Model...   enjoy the hell out of what I got.  But this release is less than exciting and worrisome as I had hoped for something to signal that the vision was healthy after Steve's Departure...
I also own Pentax and have watched as Rocoh has released the same models twice with little change and now are re-releasing a series of lenses as HD and some new color for the bodies...
I am knee deep in the Ricoh/Pentax business model too...

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow