Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Re: X-A1 = X100 non trans with lenses in a small body
In reply to Ed B, Sep 17, 2013

Ed B wrote:

Canadianguy wrote:

I agree that they do compete against each other and it looks like the M & A models have the same sensor. I believe its the same 16 MP Sony sensor used by NEX6 and the X-E1.

They just have a different Colour Array Filter (CFA) in front of the Sony sensor.

I learn something new every day at this forum

Where are you getting your information about sensors?????

Fuji makes their own Trans-X sensor and it's not the same sensor that's in the NEX 6, and it's not a sensor made by Sony.

Fuji no longer fabricates sensors; they sold their last fab plant to Toshiba a couple years ago. Fuji purchases sensors from other companies. They use the Sony 12MP (same as Nikon D90) for the X-100. They use the Sony 16MP sensor (same as Nikon D7000, NEX-5N and many others) for the X-Pro, X-E1, X100s, X-M1, and X-A1.

Now I could be wrong, and all the professional reviewers could be wrong, and the information explaining the difference between the X-Trans sensor and a Bayer sensor may be wrong; so please tell us what makes you think the sensor in the X-E1 is the same sensor that's in the Sony NEX 6.

I don't recall any professional reviewers saying that Fuji actually fabricates sensors, but they do often talk about the unique X-Trans sensor found in Fuji cameras. The problem is that the terms Bayer sensor and X-Trans sensor are misnomers and this causes confusion. The difference between X-Trans and Bayer lies in the CFA (color filter array) which sits in front of the sensor. The sensor itself is no different between the two.Here is an image that shows a torn down X-Pro and it is easy to see the difference between the 2 pieces (sensor & CFA).

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M8 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow