The Camera Matters.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: The Camera Matters.
In reply to Pritzl, 10 months ago

Pritzl wrote:

Agreed. The camera (and gear in general) definitely matters.

Better gear affords you the potential for better pictures. The photographic equipment and process circumscribe the limits of what is achievable. Achieving it is up to the photographer.

Ironically, most of those repeating the "camera doesn't matter" mantra then go on to either try to sell you gear or describe their settings and process in great detail.

I've found the methods for discussing or arguing points around here turning more and more towards dismissal, absurd reductions, and downright misunderstandings.  I ran a search for "the camera doesn't matter" and found some great examples of this very common saying being supported and disputed.  One author supported his position with a quote by Ansel Adams saying essentiall the most important part of the photography process is twelve inches behind the camera.  Well, yes having a functioning brain is a good start and certainly having talent and skill in that brain is a huge advantage, but I seriously doubt Ansel Adams was in any way trying to imply the camera was trivial.  It is possible to have more than one thing in the creative process that "matter."

It seems like "the camera doesn't matter" comes either from insecurity or ego:  insecurity if one doesn't feel good about their equipment or perhaps wants every bit of credit for the image (there are some who give way too much credit to the camera when they see a good photograph) and ego if they feel they are so good the camera couldn't possibly be considered significant by comparison to their amazing talent.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow