DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to paulkienitz, Sep 17, 2013

I have the DA-L 55-300 and have always been very pleased with it, especially since it was included as a kit lens with my K-x. But when I began shooting Little League baseball this past summer, I needed a wider aperture in order to get separation from the unattractive backgrounds (parking lots, etc.) So I got the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, and I was blown away by the improvement in IQ. The Tamron is tremendous at f/2.8, and by f/4 it beats the 55-300 at any aperture. (Probably even at f/2.8, but I don't want to exaggerate.)

My point is that as good as the 55-300 is for what it is, it's just not in the same league as higher-end glass. And my Tamron isn't really high-end in the grand scheme of things. So if the DA*300 is at least as good as the Tamron -- and I would have to think it's better -- the difference will be very noticeable. Whether that's worth the extra cost to you only you can say. But it will definitely be a huge improvement.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
Why do they call it a "building"? It looks like they're finished. Why isn't it a "built"? ~ Jerry Seinfeld
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow