FL-300R external flash, just right or waste of time (money)?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BMWBig6
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
FL-300R external flash, just right or waste of time (money)?
11 months ago

I'm looking for something compact that will allow bounce flash for better indoor portraits and candid shots on my XZ-2. Does anybody have any experience with this setup (on an XZ-1 or XZ-2)? Is it noticeably better than the built-in pop-up flash? Or just marginally better in output and range?  (I don't expect it to perform like a full-size flash gun, but hoping for some better indoor range and bounce ability.)

Here are the specs on the built-in pop up flash on the XZ-2:

Flash working range: W:0.6~11.1m(ISO1600) T:0.6~8.5m(ISO1600)

Here are the FL-300R specs:

Guide Number 28 at ISO 200 (when built-in wide panel is not in use), Guide Number 16 at ISO 200 (when built-in wide panel is in use); Guide Number of 20" Meters at ISO 100, 65" Feet

I did find one online review that said:

Compact and packs a punch

The Olympus FL-300R flash effectively meets my requirements and exceeds my expectations. It provides all the application angles (full, fill, bounce, close macro) and power capabilities (from light shadow fill to illuminating a room) that one would expect of a standard external flash unit mountable on a hot shoe, but at the size and design weight to not overload or unbalance a compact system camera like the slim XZ-1. It additionally can operate mounted as TTL-Auto, or work by wireless remote to supplement the pop-up flash of the Olympus XZ-1 and certain Olympus PEN and other cameras. Photographs taken with this flash have far exceeded my expectations for quality from such a small unit. I bought this flash for its size and compatibility with my camera, and am fully satisfied by what it brings to the total package.

One more:

I am using this flash with my Olympus XZ-1 which is my travel camera. It works fairly well, but I am disappointed that it does not have a full 90º of travel like the Quantaray bounce flash I use with my D90. I still get shadows and reflections with this unit, and I have yet to be able to remotely trigger it. That said, it is better than the built-in, and I love its size, but I don't think it's worth the price.

I also found this in another review (kind of annoying):

On page 17 of the manual I found the following warning: "The flash may become hot when fired many times in succession, resulting in damage or malfunction. The flash should be fired no more than 10 times in succession at intervals of 6 seconds, after which should be left unused for at least 10 minutes."

-- hide signature --

Ben

BMWBig6's gear list:BMWBig6's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS
Nikon D90 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow