DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Arijit Banerjee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?
I just HAD to chip in :-D
In reply to paulkienitz, Sep 17, 2013

The 'all' about either lens has been said. Yet I repeat. The DA 55-300mm (mine is the DA L) is a fine lens. Light weight, and for its price and construction, value for money. It does shoot well and perhaps only the Nikon 70-300mm VR comes close (not seen anything to impress me from the Canon L 70-300mm). The Sigma, Canon (75-300mm) and the Tamron don't come close.

The 55-300mm is best stopped down- I found f7.1 quite good. 5.8 was never bad, mind it... It hunts, is noisy, has a average/poor bokeh, fringes a bit- but it is much less expensive...

By all means it is a fine lens. I try to shoot birds so the corners don't bother me much... Hard to get a price: performance ratio such as this. It win't that bad at the wide end either...

The DA* 300mm f4. I have it too and am still learning to use it. Well built, silent, but heavy. Will hunt, if the conditions are right, but also has quick shift. Quite expensive... but...

(there is always a but )

and this is a humongous crop- shot from over 200 metres away!

But...

It is "the best danged 300mm lens in the whole danged universe. Ask me for proof and I will say I cannot prove it. Ask me which lens I would use if I had the choice between the two and I would say the DA*300/4 lens everytime." - to quote a genial gent here whose opinion I value highly.

The Nikon 300mm f4 and the Canon 300mm f4 are just as fine lenses, IMO. DXO? I't does not bother me too much.

-- hide signature --

Arijit

Arijit Banerjee's gear list:Arijit Banerjee's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow