Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Claudio Galli
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
Why nobody cares about GPS?
Sep 17, 2013

Every time I read about the requested specs for a new camera, nobody mentions the GPS.

Is it that everybody take pictures in their backyard or only in very well known places?

What about the traveling people, like myself?

Since I own the A77, I have found the GPS and indispensable tool to reconstruct my itinerary when, back home, I organize my pictures into a photo book.

Just as an example, the last time I have been in Venice I took a lot of photos and, believe me, with the aid of the GPS coordinates I have been able to give a name to all the monuments, palaces, squares, I have seen.

This is a picture that gives you a rough idea of the visited places, in Venice and in the nearby islands of Burano and Murano.

When zooming on the image, it is possible to arrive to the details of the single photos taken in that places. The following is just an example of the places from where I took pictures along the Canal Grande.

Not to mention when you visit an entire nation you have never visited before. Here is an example of my trip in Mongolia, where I have been able to keep trace of the places I have been, even in the desert of Gobi. Obviously, zooming on the image, it is possible to see many more of the few red pins depicted here.

Many times I have read thread of people looking for a camera or lens/camera combination to travel light. Nobody is mentioning the GPS feature. Of all this people, nobody travels around the world? Quite frankly, if the RX100 II would have the GPS, I will substitute my A77 (and all its lenses) with it when traveling around the world.

What are your comments on this matter?

Thanks,

Claudio

Claudio Galli's gear list:Claudio Galli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
I doNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow