Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to ultimitsu, Sep 17, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

Houseqatz wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

Houseqatz wrote:

Your thoughts?

Not nikon.. Sigma.

Nikon is a public company, Sigma is private, My bet is Nikon is more than ten times Sigma's worth.

another reason sigma would be a better candidate than nikon. at one tenth the cost of acquisition, merging with sigma would give them more leeway with regards to how they could merge to form voltron

I just realised that I misunderstood you. I thought you meant Sigma buying Nikon.

I think your point is value but I dont think Sigma will sell. Sigma is really ambitious right now, it has released three very high performing, in fact class dominating lenses within the last 12 month, and it will continue to release more lenses of that calibre, so I dont think its owner want to quit just yet.

Apple could license the X3 sensor from them though. for people who love to use their phone to take landascape photos, X3 is well suited because it provides a lot more resolution than bayer sensor of the same size and pixel size. Its only downside is poor low light performance.

In fact, it just came to me. There is really no reason why a high end phone cannot have two back cameras, one with 28mm equiv FOV lens and X3 snesor for landscape. one with a 40mm equiv FOV lens and a BSI CMOS sensor for low light and video.

I agree, it's not in sigma's best interest to do anything other than stay their course, especially considering their recent releases. but in terms of apple acquiring a camera manufacturer, sigma makes more sense to me than nikon. especially since they are a one stop shop, and don't use third party sensors, or lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow