How many still shoot film?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Bliss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?
Where I might still need it
In reply to AEPA, 11 months ago

I've not shot with film in several years but I'm looking at all the Fuji Provia in my freezer and the F100 on my desk and thinking I need to do something with it.

The thing is, though, digital is really quite a good replacement for slide, especially the way Nikon have implemented it.  Good shadow detail, generally good rewards for slight underexposure (Kodachrome 64 was especially like this, the Fuji stuff does this too but to a lesser extent), and highlights that have to be watched carefully.

Negative film is a completely different beast.  Expose more for the shadows and the highlights will still generally take care of themselves.  This is what most digital cameras fall flat on their face over -- so it isn't just the fact that black-and-white negative is easier to process that keeps it selling, but properties it has that most digital sensors don't.  Color negative the same deal, but not as easy to process.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow