Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,559Gear list
Like?
Re: Eyes on image quality
In reply to Anfy, 7 months ago

Anfy wrote:

Corpy2 wrote:

1) The image quality, despite a few hyperventilating reviews, is a little bit better. You hear that? A little bit better. It's not a lot better.

What buzzes me is this matter of image quality. I really want the new camera be better than the other m4/3s, since everyone wins to have a professional tool choice in the lineup with top IQ: but I simply fail to see the significant improvement others report, at practical speeds; I do not care much about ISO 12,800 and 25,600 results since for a serious work at those speeds - if ever possible - I would borrow a full frame camera anyway, most likely a dSLR.

So, since I believe that professional reviewers have better knowledge than me, it must be my monitor (or - I hope not! - my eyes).

Ciao!

I think with current sensor tech image quality is only going to tiptoe forward from now on till something totally revolutionary comes along. A real jump of one stop in high ISO, from one sensor to another of the same size in one generation is pretty much unheard of. At these super high ISO settings they are all terrible.

Even if the E-M1 image quality was exactly the same as the E-M5 it has an excellent range of features in a higher grade body with better ergonomics. Price is always a matter of opinion sure it could be a little cheaper, but at least for us in the UK the E-M1 + 12-40mm is roughly the same price as the GH3 + 12-35 was at launch. It has ticked a lot of boxes for me the only changes I would have made if they were designing it for me would be higher MP count { I shoot mainly at low ISO and the D800 has made me really appreciate the benefits of higher MP counts} and more flexible video. Overall it looks to be a damn fine camera.

-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow