DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,300Gear list
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to awaldram, Sep 17, 2013

awaldram wrote:

... My own opinion is in line with Rons the da*300 is one of the best 300mm prime lens ever made, The 55-300 is a run of the mill consumer zoom and behaves as such.

I would not call it "run of the mill." My copy says that it represents real value at its price point. Noisy? Yes. Hunting? Sometimes. Sharp? Yes, up to 200mm, then gradually goes downhill ... but still acceptably sharp for snapshot purposes. For serious work? Yes, up to 200mm.

I'd apply "run of the mill" to Sigma's 70-300 cheapies, Canon's 75-300 cheapies and a few Tamrons at the low end.

But considering that the 55-300 is less than $400 (and even cheaper if you get the DA L version with plastic mount) and the 300mm f/4 is about $1,400 dollars, I'd say that the 55-300 delivers value ... IF you get a good copy. The posts here suggest to me that there are inferior copies out there. The post that shows the telephone pole comparison doesn't at all reflect what I get from my 55-300.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow