Yellow journalism - DPR's new article of Hong Kong putting up billboard of fake city skyline

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,653
Like?
Yellow journalism - DPR's new article of Hong Kong putting up billboard of fake city skyline
7 months ago

I just want address that Sep 1st article on the fake Hong Kong skyline billboard. The article made is look like billboards with a clear sky Hong Kong cityscape as some cheap and fake tourist attractions. Here is the link: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/09/01/billboards-offer-tourists-a-glimpse-of-smog-free-hong-kong

The reality is, those are not billboards. They are boards that surrounds an area under renovation work. The posters are there to make the construction area look a bit nicer. They do not seems like some fake tourist attractions to me.

See the truth here:

http://www.pbase.com/josephlei/hong_kong_billboard

Facts:

- Yes, there are tourists taking pictures in front of these posters, as in any tourist destinations (here the harbor front), tourists take pictures in front of anything.

- Yes, air pollution is a problem (pretty much in all major cities in the world) and should be address. But this article is not about that.

-The photos published are so carefully cropped and shot from selective angles.

- Hong Kong has her ups and downs on air pollution. There are clear blue sky days and there are days with smog. The article made it look like Hong Kong is so polluted there is not a single day of clear blue sky. And I am sure the construction work is not timed so that they could put up the posters on the board for people to see a "what if".

I am not from Hong Kong but just feel misleading articles like this should be debunked.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow