Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business

Started Sep 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 875Gear list
Like?
Re: No. We don't need a patent war in Camera technology.
In reply to Basalite, Sep 17, 2013

Basalite wrote:

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Is this a sick joke?

1) By post processing you really mean horribly clichéd filter effects for the hipsters? These people are not interested in post processing when every single photo is a sepia toned vignette. Conclusion: Disqualified argument.

Apple is doing things with its cameras that don't even exist in the most expensive dedicated camera systems. Their two colored LED flash that can changed color by varying the intensity of each color to compensate for varying lighting conditions is a perfect example.

Real world use?

What did you think I was referring to?

A gimmick that has limited function.

You're hyping over one hell of a gimmicky product development that hasn't even been released...

It's not the colour tones that kill a cheap camera phone flash, it's the fact that it's shot parallel to the lens. I won't comment on the obvious output limitations either...

White light can be colour balanced, coloured light... not so much and you are letting an algorithm decide for you what looks good.

You don't understand how current flash systems work how Apple's new flash system works.

Can you kindly explain how it overcomes the flash on camera issue...?

As for letting "an algorithm decide for you," you do use AF, do you not?

2 & 3) Apple doesn't have the clientele you speak of. Apple's market share are for people who want simple choices, simple GUI's and streamlined products. ILC cameras are not simple products no matter what you do there is always in depth knowledge required for lens selection etc. Conclusion: Disqualified argument.

What are "ILC cameras?"

Typo of ICL = interchangeable lens camera.

Thanks. Too many people assume that everyone else is going to understand acronyms they are used to.

No biggie. Look, I don't think Apple are interested in complicated products. And DSLR's, Mirrorless cameras are complicated.

Apple dumb things down for people who need things dumbed down.

So no engineering goes into making something small?

Engineering is not a euphemism for stylised design. Stop using engineering as a moronic euphemism.

They use proprietary screws, which means you cannot use a standard screwdriver...that is what I call universal engineering stupidity, I wonder are the screw threads anti clockwise too ? .

LOL. You can buy a pentalobe screwdrivers online for a couple of bucks.

What if you didn't bring one with you? What if you lost it? What if it was stolen? ....use your imagination and see the pentacrap screws serve no function and have a multitude of unnecessary drawbacks.

But honestly why should I deal with this garbage when a standard screw can be turned with a wide variety of commonly found everyday objects when a commonly found screwdriver cannot be found?

and furthermore, to the point, why do you NEED special screws? Do you fear little micro gremlins are going to steal the hardware?

They solder ram, thus destroying any modular capability on the OEM front or USER front.

No, they solder RAM on a couple of models of MacBooks and those are the ones that are the thinnest, the same as many other ultrabooks. If paying extra to maxmize the amount of RAM from the start in exchange for a thinnerand lighter computer is too much of a burden for you then such laptops are not for you.

So... they've got back to 40's methods in that department.

The "40's?" Huh? As far as I know such products didn't exist back then. Besides, things back in the 40's were designed much more so to be repaired or user serviced especially considering the size of the components involved.

Soldered computer hardware has existed for a very, very long time. All the tech modern computers is based on, works from modular components being used in conjunction with each other. This goes back more than 40 years btw.,

Great "progress" of course and fits into their corporate paradigm in making people buy new machines instead of modular upgrading.

Fact is, most people will never upgrade their computers before buying another.

According to who?

It's arrogant to presume people don't want options, especially if you remove it from them.

The "most people" line is stupid. Why should you pay MORE for any item that gives you LESS options? Apple makes overpriced dumbed down stuff. Now I can understand the majority of people lack attention, but power users want these things, and shouldn't be neglected and abandoned because the average user doesn't care about these things.

The speakers? Cheap, low output compromised components.

If you say so. not sure what kind of sound you are expecting from super slim, small and lightweight devices but my iPad 4, for example sounds great, and loud, for its very tiny speaker.

You probably love 128kb/s AAC and can't tell the difference between that and a CD

Battery life? Whats that!

Apple has the best battery life in large tablets and small tablets and so far in ultrabooks. Some people are getting up to 14 hours with a 13" MacBook Air! I consistently get 11.5 hours from normal use on my iPad and quite a bit longer if I'm just watching videos.

Spoken like a true salesman.

7) Apple knows how to Market mass market products to people. You are asking them to market niche stuff to the mainstream... not so great an idea to be honest. Steve Jobs saved the company from doom; because he cut out ALL of their nichey stuff. You are suggesting Apple get involved with a niche market and try to convert it into the mainstream... its not a very good idea.

The Nikon 1 example.... is honestly appalling. It's not the marketing that's a failure, it's the product itself. Remind me which failure of a product apple has successfully marketed?

The other issue is that Apple is an anti-competitive company that prefers lawsuits to innovation. I don't want them in the camera market because it could spell release injunctions on other camera makers given Apple's general douchebaggery.

While there needs to be some overhaul of the patent systems around the world Samsung deserved most of the lawsuits taken against them. They clearly went out of their way to copy Apple at one time. That's not "innovation!" Only an irrational Apple hater would think otherwise.

I agree with your number 5. Apple is doing just fine with its camera development.

Apple are the #1 patent trolls, period. They proliferate the patent wars more than any other company.

I don't think you understand it... Apple patents what is public domain. That is the worst level of patent trolling.

They attempt to patent troll.... a tablet cover...

http://betanews.com/2011/12/20/apple-is-a-patent-troll-now/

Sorry, you'll just have to accept the REALITY that not everyone is in love with Apple's corporate douchebaggery.

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow