An anti-EM1 Thread - Here's why

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?
Not anti-EM1 at all, but here's why I won't buy it. Probably.
In reply to Corpy2, 11 months ago

I think it's a wonderful camera. If I was one of those who had some 43 lenses i wouldn't hesitate a second. But I ain't. I have never owned a 43 Olympus camera (only 135 film slrs like the OM-G and Pen Ft). I have an E-M5 with some nice m43 lenses. I bought it because it has better IQ than all Canon dslrs and is smaller. The E-M5 is also a wonderful camera.

The question is: Is the E-M1 so much more wonderful than the E-M5 that I should buy it?

IQ-wise? Probably not that big difference.

On-sensor PDAF? That could be a good reason if I often shot sports or flying birds, but I never shoot sports and flying birds only occasionally.

Grip? Another good reason, I think the E-M5 is hard to use without grip, but I have a JB grip that always sits on it.

Weather-Sealing? Maybe, but the E-M5 is already weather-sealed, and I have used it in -15 degrees (C) without any problems.

Pro service? I live in a country where this will be provided, and if I was a pro this had been important, but I ain't (only to a small degree), and, besides, this will probably come with a cost.

100 Iso? Probably no real 100 Iso setting, and according to DxO E-M5 have it already (close anyway) :-).

1/8000 s? I don't think I've used even 1/4000 very much.

So I'll hopefully save some money not getting the E-M1, though I admit it's extremely tempting to do it. I try to convince myself: Don't buy it, you already have an excellent camera. But you never know, I'm afraid that when I once have an opportunity to hold it in my hand and try it I will surrender to a spontaneous purchase. Hope not. I need the money to the 12-40 and later on the 40-150/2,8.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow