An anti-EM1 Thread - Here's why

Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,303Gear list
Like?
Not anti-EM1 at all, but here's why I won't buy it. Probably.
In reply to Corpy2, Sep 17, 2013

I think it's a wonderful camera. If I was one of those who had some 43 lenses i wouldn't hesitate a second. But I ain't. I have never owned a 43 Olympus camera (only 135 film slrs like the OM-G and Pen Ft). I have an E-M5 with some nice m43 lenses. I bought it because it has better IQ than all Canon dslrs and is smaller. The E-M5 is also a wonderful camera.

The question is: Is the E-M1 so much more wonderful than the E-M5 that I should buy it?

IQ-wise? Probably not that big difference.

On-sensor PDAF? That could be a good reason if I often shot sports or flying birds, but I never shoot sports and flying birds only occasionally.

Grip? Another good reason, I think the E-M5 is hard to use without grip, but I have a JB grip that always sits on it.

Weather-Sealing? Maybe, but the E-M5 is already weather-sealed, and I have used it in -15 degrees (C) without any problems.

Pro service? I live in a country where this will be provided, and if I was a pro this had been important, but I ain't (only to a small degree), and, besides, this will probably come with a cost.

100 Iso? Probably no real 100 Iso setting, and according to DxO E-M5 have it already (close anyway) :-).

1/8000 s? I don't think I've used even 1/4000 very much.

So I'll hopefully save some money not getting the E-M1, though I admit it's extremely tempting to do it. I try to convince myself: Don't buy it, you already have an excellent camera. But you never know, I'm afraid that when I once have an opportunity to hold it in my hand and try it I will surrender to a spontaneous purchase. Hope not. I need the money to the 12-40 and later on the 40-150/2,8.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow