An anti-EM1 Thread - Here's why

Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,821Gear list
Like?
Re: An anti-EM1 Thread - Here's why
In reply to Corpy2, Sep 17, 2013

Hmm.

1) It's tiny. Try living with a couple of Nikon D3s bodies if you think this thing is big. It's so small I would not hesitate to put the grip on it out of the box and leave it there forevermore, just so I could actually get my hands on it properly. I did exactly that with my GH3.

2) There are a few things I would leave out that they have included if I was designing a 'pro' body. All that hipstergram junk of art filters etc - in the bin for a start. Design-wise, the on/off switch is not in the most sensible place. I wish the batteries were better - they are not THAT much smaller in size than Nikon EN-EL4a batteries that will power a D3s to over 3,000 shots on one battery. Why can't they get beyond pathetic numbers like 300? That right there is one of the least 'pro' things about the camera.

3) The body is weatherproof, freeze proof (although I once used my Nikon D200 in the Canadian winter at minus 46 Centigrade for 10 days with no issues despite no advertising that it was freeze proof!), has a very sane lock on the mode dial, is made of metal, has high flash sync speed, high frame rate and hopefully CAF that will at least cope with things like monks on mopeds better than my GH3 does.

For me it has many pros. I could use the 'big' lenses if I wanted to (that 300 f2.8 for example or the 150 f2 or the 7-14 f4) as well as the small lenses.

A pro grade M43 7-14 f2.8 on one body and the forthcoming 40-150 f2.8 on another would make a fabulous system for the travelling photojournalist.

No, I think this will be a hugely successful camera. You can anti it all you like but it will sell like hot cakes. Granted EM-5 owners probably have no need to rush to dump their EM-5's just to get one, but that does not detract from it's relevance at all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow