An anti-EM1 Thread - Here's why

Started Sep 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Franka T.L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,508Gear list
Like?
Interesting take
In reply to Corpy2, Sep 17, 2013

Though I would say its not the whole nor the end of the story.

I wager its a matter of perspective in term of how one use and demand from a system. What matters is 4/3 did not fulfill its original goal and never materialize as a true viable system, and M4/3 seems trying to repeat the history somewaht. Its carving a niche but that niche is fast facing a dilemma. Just as others had stated, that which APS-C DSLR do not really give the size advantage vs FF. Its now the reverse. The M4/3 do not actually give size advantage vs the APS-C or might be even FF mirrorless. ( take the NEX-7, is it really bigger than the E-M5 )

But yes, those are valid arguments. As far, and as I've read, it seems there is only marginal advance as a total platform goes between the E-M5 and E-M1, which center around the AF and compatibility with the 4/3 lens, ergonomics and some evolutionary improvement. Even Oly seems to suggest that, when I read numerous review, interview from medias regarding E-M1, Oly themselves stress much on the new imaging engine ( the chip ) on image quality improvement. They were avoiding the question of how the sensor perform even though their marketing material keep saying its TOTALLY NEW sensor . The totally new part I would not doubt, but I guess its more about the on chip PDAF and some ongoing improvement rather than for real a new sensor.

Personally I can understand your feud with the size, but o9ne the less the GH-3 or the E-M1 are not really that bulky. OR even the GX-7. What do materialize though is the issue between the 2 very different need for a system that simply need 2 different products. Both though nbeed to cater to the same highly demanding sector of the market. While the like opf GH-3 or E-M1 are needed, there is a market and a demand for something much the same but more like the GX-1 ( size and form factor ) or might be we should take NEX-6 as a cue. Whether M4/3 will provide will be the Mfr's choice.

AFAIC, the E-M1 is indeed an improvement but I do agree its more about supporting M4/3 and evolutionary than about actually fielding a next gen M4/3. For their part, I would say Nikon is doing better, along the whole lineup of theior DSLR, the Mfr almost always infuse improvement worth it into the replacements. The D800/D800E is significant advance vs the D700, the D7100 vs the D7000. I guess both of them had their value and purpose. Its just that they won't be for everyone.

The failure of 4/3 on the market had many factors; I think the Mfrs should take note. The M4/3 had made itself a place on the market, but its no longer new nor novel. So its about time Oly and Panny gorwn up and try to work it into a SYSTEM instead. Right now its far from it.

-- hide signature --

- Franka -

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow