Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,751
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan: "Get fully behind Nikon 1 or drop it."
In reply to SunnyFlorida, Sep 16, 2013

SunnyFlorida wrote:

Thom hits the nail on the head with this one

"Unfortunately, the Nikon 1 line is overpriced and under performs (against competitors with bigger sensors). This is a fatal combination that doesn't meet my earlier criteria, and needs to be fixed, stat."

Thom just spent 2 weeks on Safari in Botswana. He and many of his colleagues CHOSE to take their Nikon 1 cameras to complement their Nikon DSLRs. I think his other mirrorless stuff stayed at home. He has posted some superb images from his V2.... his comments on one as follows:

Nikon V2, 240mm (648mm equivalent; shot on 200-400mm), f/4.5, ISO 160. This is the full frame, no cropping. Bottom line: you can bring back very good shots with the Nikon V2 and a good F-mount lens. Consider that this same shot on a D300 would have required the 400mm f/4 lens, and probably wouldn't have been any better.

His introduction to his overall summary was:

Here's the thing. I (and others) long ago learned that the Nikon 1 is a darned good and flexible substitute for a compact camera. Especially for someone with F-mount lenses, as these cameras can also serve as a remarkable telephoto tool.

There was also much criticism of handling and Nikon's marketing (justified), but clarified by:-

Nikon's not alone in this problem, so don't think I'm picking on them. It's just that I'm mostly using Nikon gear (with a splash of Olympus) in my work, so I'm most familiar with the Nikon products and how they're not performing as well as they could

Thom is criticising Nikon because he sees a lost opportunity rather than a poor product. He can also see some simple fixes that will bounce Nikon 1 to a very strong market position. The format is great, Nikon just need to push it forwards.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow