DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Gary2010
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Re: DA 55-300 vs DA* 300 f4
In reply to paulkienitz, 10 months ago

I have both at this point in time.  Have bought the 55-300mm 3 times and the DA* 300 twice.  As far as IQ, the DA 300* wins by a decent margin.  Mostly to do with subject isolation at F4 vs F5.8.  It also renders finer detail if you like to pixel peep.  Focus on the DA*300 is also better and quiet.  The 55-300mm is noisy and it ratchets back and forth if it misses initial focus. The DA*300 is also water resistant and at F4 you have a possibility of using a Teleconverter with it with decent results.  I use the AFA 1.7x with mine.

All that said.  The DA 55-300 is packed and ready to go with me on a cruise next week which includes a whale watch excursion.  I decided to travel lighter on this trip and plan to get some nice shots with the DA 55-300mm.

When I lived in Louisiana and loaded my pelican cases in the truck and went to the Bayou to take pictures, I did not mind hauling the larger lenses with me.  They are easier to haul around in a vehicle than on your shoulder around town.  Also, after hauling the 60-250 to Alaska, I have decided to try lighter and hope not to give up too much IQ.

As far as other lenses from Nikon or Canon, I believe both have decent lenses in the 55 or 70-300 range but probably more expensive.  Their F 300mm lenses are just s good as ours.

Gary2010's gear list:Gary2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow