glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,058Gear list
Like?
Re: My respect for professors has plummetted
In reply to Brian, Sep 16, 2013

Brian wrote:

glasswave wrote:

Brian wrote:

My son just started college, going into Mechanical Engineering.

First semester has calculus and physics. Just basic classes. beginning physics and calculus hasn't changed for 100 years or more. I could pull out my text books from 25 years ago and they would be perfectly adequate.

Don't get me wrong, if a professor writes a book that adds something to the field of study or shows new insight, then I can see the professor requiring a new book and making some money on it. But beginning physics and calculus...... give me a break.. We are talking higher education mafia.

How much do you think beginning physics books and calculus books are running these days?

You don't really say what you are so taken aback by. Are his profs both specifically specifying books that they have written? Are you asserting that a prof should not be able to specify his own book? Are you saying that by using older books that the cost would be cheaper? How much cheaper?

Actually, the way in which we teach beginning physics and calc has changed dramatically over the last hundred years. Perhaps the prof has decided that by using his own book that fits his methods and feels that the class is better because of it. Usually this is why new beginning textbooks are written, in that a prof finds a way of teaching an old topic that gives consistently better results. Then they write a book design to fit that new curriculum.

You can blame a lot of things for the soaring cost of education, but the idea that profs have jack up the prices thru' some mafia like scam of speccing their own books, should not really be one of them.

Maybe books have changed from a hundred years ago, but looking at my sons calc and physics books, they have changed little in the past 25 years.

The price certainly has though. I paid around $50 for my physics and calc books. my son is getting soaked for $200 for the calc and $220 for the physics book. Tuition at the school since I went is up 80% but books are up 200+%. You can't tell me it cost that much more to publish a book. A book that basically hasn't changed in 50 years.

So yes, I blame it on the professors. A basic physics book should be good for at least 5 years. Maybe update the problems and examples from time to time.

So what you are saying is that market forces to not provide sufficient restraint on the textbook market. Do we need a government agency declaring that phys books should not be upgraded before 5 years? Should profs not be allowed to write books? Specify books? What is you solution to this, one of higher ed's most glaring shortcomings (;-))?

you say because a newer book fits his methods. I don't see it.

I did not say that, I only suggested that it may be the the reason. Perhaps the dept has standardized on a certain series of books. Maybe it covers Calc II as well. I don't know, and quite obviously, neither do you.

I thumbed through my daughters precalc book. Didn't really see anything different in it than when I took it many moons ago.

Nothing? Was her book in color? Yours? BTW, I thought we were talking your son's calc & phys books. Not you daughters pre calc. You seem a bit addled.

It is a way for the professors to make additional income as if they don't already make pretty good loot as it is.

A prof will never get published and wouldn't make much money from writing a book only for his own classes. I am fairly sure the the percentage of profs that teach beginning classes from their own books is very low. Likely way less than one percent.

Also, most profs could make significantly more if they went to work in industry. Is that what this is coming down to? Are you simply jealous of their incomes/station in life.

Quite frankly, you are coming off as some crotchety old curmudgeon that has a need to pretend that everything was  just so much better back in the good ol' HIS day?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow