Started Sep 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
knickerhawk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,442
Like?
Re: Olympus E-P5 vs Panasonic GX7
In reply to sabesh, Sep 16, 2013

sabesh wrote:

Gary Waugh wrote:

The GX-7 must have a light AA filter because it exhibits moire in the concentric circles just below and to the left of center.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Gary, do you think that this will actually be an issue for prints? I don't pixel peep, so I'll be fine if I can't see it in print

-- hide signature --

There were numerous reports that the GX-7 had no AA filter, but I don't think I've seen anything definitive about it.  However, if you look at the GX-7 resolution chart shot on Image Resources it definitely looks like it has an AA filter.  There's very little visible aliasing in the grids where you typically see it with a light (or no) AA filter.  The difference is fairly striking when you compare the GX-7 resolution chart to the EM-1 chart (which is confirmed by Oly to not have an AA filter).

As for prints, it's hard to say with certainty that you'll never run into visible moire and related aliasing artifacting, but it's never been a personal problem for me with the several cameras I've owned over the years that had notably light AA filters (the Nikon D70 and the OMD EM-5).  A lot depends on your preferrend subject matter and how large you print.  If you shoot primarily landscapes/nature, you'll have no issue.  If you shoot a lot of man-made subjects like buildings and clothes, you might run into a problem on occasion.  Tools like Photoshop and Lightroom can repair some forms of moire.  Personally, I wouldn't let it determine your decision.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow