Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SteveS58
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Photographing in the post 9/11 world...
10 months ago

I got questioned twice yesterday morning shooting photographs of a beautiful old elevated highway in Kearny, NJ.  I'm working on a photo essay of the area.  The elevated bridge I was photographing looks like it was built out of an erector set.  It runs through an industrial area, mostly deserted at that time on a Sunday morning.  Both times I was stopped the officers/officials couldn't have been more polite, listened to my explanation of my photography project, and departed.  But the incidents made me feel uneasy.  It seems like carrying a camera with a large lens arouses all kinds of suspicions and is an invitation to being questioned.

I was wondering what other photographers do to deal with this.  Among the things I was thinking about were buying and wearing a photo vest, having business cards made to hand out, carrying my portfolio around with me in a backpack...or developing a thicker skin.:-D

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow