ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nbs3000
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Looking for tips on Lightroom raw and JPG file management
7 months ago

Hi all,

I shoot with raw+JPG (Olympus EM-5), purely as a hobby. A combination of landscapes, travel and family photos. I enjoy working with raw files in Lightroom 4 and appreciate the extra flexibility this brings. I like to keep the JPG as well, for reasons I’ll come on to.

Having recently become a father  , the number of photos I’ve taken has shot up, but the time I’ve got to process the raw files has massively diminished! In truth, I find that the OOC JPGs are often good enough, (especially for family snaps) and I only want to tinker with a small subset of the RAW files, to correct exposure / WB, or because it’s a special photo I’ve selected for printing, or if I want to do some more creative work on it.

I’m struggling to find a good LR4 workflow to manage the raw+JPG files; neither of the File Management options here seem ideal to me:

Option 1: sorting into separate folder means the raw and jpg files are entirely independent. Whilst keeping develop settings independent is good, metadata, ratings or deleting will be a pain to manage.

Option 2: auto-stack by time isn’t reliable for burst shots. Manually stacking takes time.

If I choose one of those options, I’d go with Option 1 (sorting into separate subfolders), but does anybody have any alternative ideas which work better for them?

I guess an alternative would be to shoot raw only and find a faster way to develop images to an acceptable level. I’ve tried auto-applying presets on import but haven’t found anything that gets close to the camera’s JPG output. I’ve just bought the Huelight profile (waiting for it to arrive by email) to see if this helps but from what I’ve seen/read it still won’t be that similar to the Olympus JPGs – however it might be good enough.

Thanks for any suggestions!

nbs3000's gear list:nbs3000's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow