L1 lens - how good compared to F2.8 zoom?

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kiwigirl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,361Gear list
Like?
L1 lens - how good compared to F2.8 zoom?
Sep 16, 2013

Like many people on this forum I have drooled over the two F2.8 Panny zooms but I really can’t justify that sort of money! But I’ve had a bit of a reality check! I have the L1 with its highly-rated 14-50 kit lens and the M4/3 adaptor. It’s something I had a brief play with when I first bought the GH2 but in landscapes I couldn’t tell the difference so has been gathering dust ever since. Okay, so it is not as wide, but it is longer. And at 50mm it is still only at F3.5. My 14-140 lens is already at F5.6 at 50mm.

So, for all its short-comings on a M4/3 body, can I not see what’s under my nose? Do I already have a quality option in this (only slightly slower) 4/3 lens? Or is the 2.8 zoom very clearly optically superior? Has anyone been able to compare the results of the two? (Ignoring the abysmal auto-focus of the adapted 4/3 lens of course!)

kiwigirl's gear list:kiwigirl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow