Thom Hogan: "Get fully behind Nikon 1 or drop it."

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
clark321
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan: "Get fully behind Nikon 1 or drop it."
In reply to Pangloss, 10 months ago

Disagree:

• The 1" sensors in the V1 and V2 (respectively 10MP and 14MP) perform fine both in absolute terms and when compared to the competition. Yes, I know Sony's 1" sensor in the RX100 performs better at high ISO and sports 20MP, but that's about the only sensor that we can compare the Nikon 1 sensors to, and it has the best technology that Sony can offer. And probably Aptina's next generation of 1" sensors will offer comparable performance to Somy's, so where's the beef here? What Thom is not saying is that no matter what, a 1" sensor will never perform the same as an APS-C sensor. That's a reality and if I need the high ISO performance of an APS-C or FF sensor then I am not going to use a Nikon 1 camera, I am going to use a D7100 or a D600, end of story here.

Pangloss, I think what your saying here is what Thorn is saying.

The V1 & V2 sensors, as you say, are not as good as the RX!00 & RX100-2 sensors. Thorn thinks Nikon products should be the best, highest performing on the market.

We cant compare what maybe in the future.

The N1 does have a niche and that is with owners of Nikon DSLRs, they can make added use  of their expensive lenses.

But for  those that don't own Nikon DSLR lenses, like me, I want an N1 system that will broadly cover all my needs. Most cameras  can take an acceptable  shot in good light and so ISO performance is important.

I expect a system camera to be able  to take a good shot at an indoor concert. Maybe I  need 6D.

clark321's gear list:clark321's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon 1 V1 A3000 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow