Nikon 50mm f1.2 user experiences?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 50mm f1.2 user experiences?
In reply to Stilograph, 7 months ago

I have the Ai version, and to cut to the chase, I like my Sigma 50/1.4 a lot better for wide aperture shooting.  Much nicer bokeh.  Of course, it depends on what kind of look you're after.  You might enjoy the more "edgy" bokeh of the f/1.2.  I like the creamy Sigma bokeh, myself.

As far as contrast, yes, you can get a veil effect at f/1.2.  Some people might like the dreamy look.  If you don't, you can mostly get rid of it by adding some contrast and clarity in post, or large-radius USM.  I find that works better on close-up shots, though.  As the focus gets farther away, for better or worse, you're kind of stuck with the look.

I will say that the lens is sharp even wide open, though some people might be fooled by the shallow DOF and low contrast.  As others have said, it's super sharp and contrasty from f/2.

The lens is a beauty to hold and behold.  I love the solid metal construction and smooth manual focus.  If this is something that appeals to you but you prefer smoother bokeh, you might look into the Voigtlander 58/1.4.  I haven't seen any direct image comparisons, so I could be wrong, but from viewing online samples, I really wish I had bought that lens instead.

Julie

Stilograph wrote:

Hello to all.

I'm considering purchasing this fine lens, but was wondering if you good folks have any experiences on using it for portraits wide open? I've red it's semi-useless because of the lack of contrast at 1.2, but would like to stand corrected. Any samples or such? Horrible user experiences?

Regards

Heikki

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow