Difference between Sigma 30mm 2.8 and its replacement??

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082Gear list
Like?
Re: Difference between Sigma 30mm 2.8 and its replacement??
In reply to Nick Rus, 7 months ago

Nick Rus wrote:

DxoMark.com reviewed both lenses by now. They claim that older model is sharper. Old lens can produce 12 P-Mpix, new - 10 P-Mpix.

DxO Mark Score them as:

old EX DN - 21

new DN a - 19

So, there must be difference in optics as well as new motor and design.

See the differences on the site below:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/(lens1)/1102/(brand)/Sigma/(camera1)/736/(lens2)/828/(brand2)/Sigma/(camera2)/0

I sent my 30mm EX DN in for repair due to a high pitch noise when focusing and am hoping the lens comes back from Sigma with the same image quality and sharpness I was experiencing. The local repair affiliate, CRIS, said they had only seen this once before with this lens and had to send it to Sigma in New York 10 days ago. The DXO score difference was surprising between the EX DN and Art series but I'm wondering if they had a bad copy of the new lens. From what was published, I didn't think there was any difference in the glass. Wish someone with copies of both lenses would chime in. You can't find the 30mm EX DN any longer except used at a premium and probably from those that picked up the 19mm and 30mm $200 combo deal back in May/June. I wish I had known about the deal at the time. I ordered a range finder hood which went on back order from Fotodiox that was metal for over a month and cancelled it after seeing they changed it to a plastic version. Eforcity has a metal version for a few bucks and have two of them in transit. They look good but expect them to start showing wear or paint coming off after awhile.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow