40 MP Sensor and Lens - Which Way Does It Go?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
En Trance
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
40 MP Sensor and Lens - Which Way Does It Go?
7 months ago

Many critics express an opinion that MP Ratings above 20MP are just silly and wasted effort.  Seems as though the reason cited is the inability of lenses to resolve light. Or some "Dinosaurs" are out there arguing about printers and monitors. Bet they are FAXing in their responses right now.

In my cock-eyed view of the world, ..., uhmmm, I view the lens as the source of the "continuous light" in the camera system and the sensor as the receiver of the light.  I therefor do not see any argument referring to lens limitations as being logical regarding sensor performance. No matter what light is available from the lens, I want my sensor to do the best job of receiving it and sending it to the processor.

Obviously I don't want a $million dollar sensor and a $2 dollar lens, but rather the best lens to go with the 40MP+ sensor, plus stellar processing, file storage, ..., etc.

Why is the "Lens Limitation Argument" relevant to the 40MP+ movement?

En Trance's gear list:En Trance's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 550D Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow