What is wrong with this picture - Leica X Vario

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Charles Wass
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?
Re: What is wrong with this picture - Leica X Vario
In reply to ultimitsu, 10 months ago

Leica are behaving perfectly reasonably.  They have put the actual focal length range around the front element of the lens so there can be no mistake, just as it is always done by all manufacturers.  However, most manufacturers, in the case of fixed lens cameras, refer in advertising and elsewhere to the FF equivalent focal lengths for clarity and ease of understanding, because fixed lens cameras have many different sensor sizes and the real focal lengths can be confusing.  This aids comparability.

For example, referring to two newish cameras, the Nikon Coolpix A and the Ricoh GR are both described as 28mm, when in fact the real focal lengths are approximately 18mm.

There is no intent to deceive, but on the contrary and attempt at clarity for users. Maybe it is on account of my age and long use of 35mm cameras, but for my part I would be much more comfortable reading FF equivalents visible on the top of the barrel, rather than real ones.

Charlie

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow