Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Re: Oh My!...Rockwell's Review on the 70D
In reply to Cam Jones, Sep 15, 2013

Cam Jones wrote:

howardroark wrote:

Depth of field advantages from full frame are practically meaningless.

For 80% or more of photographers (meaning, anyone with a camera), this is a basically accurate statement.

80% of people with a camera don't know what depth of field is.  80% of cameras don't have much depth of field to speak of in the first place.  People in this forum are much more likely to actually care about the details of photography.  People who don't care buy their 70D without reading much in the way of reviews and probably zero forum posts, put it in Green Square mode, and carry on with their lives.  People who come to this forum know better.  Should those poor saps do a search for reviews and find his first or come here to get more opinions without anyone talking about what depth of field is good for then I guess they just don't get to make up their mind for themselves, huh?  It is not entirely intuitive for people to just figure out on their own the differences in DoF between FF and tiny point and shoot sensors, and in photography every little difference counts.

Here's what Ken should say:  "If you just want to take pictures and don't give a flying f$%^ about trying to make them look great instead of good, then listen to me.  If you don't think that the details make a difference in many shooting situations, output options, and the overall look of your images then here's my advice."

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow